“In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing to do, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.”– Theodore Roosevelt
Procrastination originates from the Latin procrastinatus, which itself evolved from the prefix pro-, meaning “forward,” and crastinus, meaning “of tomorrow. Procrastination is the act of delaying a set of tasks or actions, despite the fact that we know it might have negative consequences. We have all been through it, at the beginning of the year, we are all motivated to set big goals but as the journey becomes harder, we delay, we stop, we postpone, and say someday I’ll. The challenge is that someday becomes never and we forget our goals, dreams, and aspiration hence we settle for less than we can become.
You do not need to be great to start but you have to start to be great. The key is to break the habitual delaying and procrastination, you need to have a bias for action, the discipline, and dedication to follow through, even when your goals get tough. We procrastinate because it is not a priority for us, until you make it a priority, you would continuously postpone your goals.
Here are some great quotes on Procrastination:
- “In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing to do, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.”– Theodore Roosevelt
- Procrastination is the fear of success. People procrastinate because they are afraid of the success that they know will result if they move ahead now. Because success is heavy, carries a responsibility with it, it is much easier to procrastinate and live on the “someday I’ll” philosophy. – Denis Waitley
- “Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.”– Napoleon Bonaparte
- “The only difference between success and failure is the ability to take action.”– Alexander Graham Bell
- “Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”– Abraham Lincoln
“Putting off an easy thing makes it hard, and putting off a hard one makes it impossible.” – George Lorimer
- “During a very busy life I have often been asked, “How did you manage to do it all?” The answer is very simple. It is because I did everything promptly.”– Richard Tangye
- “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”– Seneca
- “Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.”– Sydney Harris
- “Procrastination is the lazy cousin of fear. When we feel anxiety around an activity, we postpone it.”– Noelle Hancock
- “Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.”– William James
- “Procrastination is like going to a fancy restaurant and filling up on bread and not leaving enough room for dinner.”– Richie Norton
- “Waiting is a trap. There will always be reasons to wait. The truth is, there are only two things in life, reasons and results, and reasons simply don’t count.” – Dr. Robert Anthony Kreucher
- “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”– Jim Rohn
- “Procrastination is the thief of time: Year after year it steals, till all are fled, And to the mercies of a moment leaves The vast concerns of an eternal scene” – Edward Young
- “All delay is helpful, but it does produce wisdom.” – Publilius Syrus
- “Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” ~ M. Scott Peck
- “Procrastination is like a credit card: it’s a lot of fun until you get the bill.” ~ Christopher Parker
- “Yesterday is a cancelled check. Tomorrow is a promissory note. Today is the only cash you have, so spend it wisely.” ~Kim Lyons.
- “We are so scared of being judged that we look for every excuse to procrastinate.” ~ Erica Jong
- “Life, as it is called, is for most of us one long postponement.” ~ Henry Miller
- There’s nothing wrong with procrastination. Or is there? I’ll leave it to you to decide, but only if you have the time. -Craig Brown
- “The man who waits to know everything is the man who never does anything.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day’s success.” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “If you take too long in deciding what to do with your life, you’ll find you’ve done it.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “You may not be punished for your procrastination, but for sure you will be punished by your procrastination.” -Debasish Mridha
- “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Much of the stress that people feel doesn’t come from having too much to do. It comes from not finishing what they started.” – David Allen
- “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.” – Pablo Picasso
- “Following-through is the only thing that separates dreamers from people that accomplish great things” – Gene Hayden
- “You may delay, but time will not” – Benjamin Franklin
All the Best in your quest to get Better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.