Coach John Wooden is considered one of the most successful National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) coaches of all time. He guided the UCLA Bruins to 10 NCAA championships in his 12 years reign as the head basketball team coach. Coach Wooden is famous for his maxims and sayings on success, his pyramid of success and his love for poetry.
Here are some of Coach John Wooden’s favourite maxims and sayings:
Success is peace of mind that is the direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.
- Big things are accomplished only through the perfection of minor details.
- Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Character is what you really are; reputation is merely what you are perceived to be.
- I will get ready, and then, perhaps, my chance will come.
- The best way to improve the team is to improve ourself.
- Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.
- Love is the greatest of all words in our language. Much can be accomplished by teamwork when no one is concerned about who gets the credit.
- Earn the right to be proud and confident.
- If I am through learning, I am through.
- The smallest good deed is better than the best intention.
- The man who is afraid to risk failure seldom has to face success.
- Never make excuses. Your friends don’t need them, and your foes won’t believe them.
- Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.
- It is what you learn after you know it all that counts.
- Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.
- There is nothing stronger than gentleness.
- You discipline those under your supervision to correct, to help, to improve-not to punish.
- Goals achieved with little effort are seldom worthwhile or lasting.
- Make sure the team members know they’re working with you, not for you.
- Be most interested in finding the best way, not in having your own way.
- What is right is more important than who is right.
- You handle things. You work with people.
- As long as you try your best, you are never a failure. That is unless you blame others.
- Tell the truth. That way, you don’t have to remember a story.
- Don’t let making a living prevent you from making a life.
- Although there is no progress without change, not all change is progress.
- Do not permit what you cannot do to interfere with what you can do.
- Never be disagreeable just because you disagree.
- Be slow to criticize and quick to commend.
- Be more concerned with what you can do for others than what others can do for you. You’ll be surprised at the results.
- Don’t permit fear of failure to prevent effort. We are all imperfect and will fail on occasions, but fear of failure is the greatest failure of all.
- Forget favors given; remember those received.
- Make each day your masterpiece.
- Make friendship a fine art.
- Treat all people with dignity and respect.
- Acquire peace of mind by making the effort to become the best of which you are capable.
All the best in your quest to get better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.
Comments are closed.