In one of my favourite scenes in any movie, Will Smith (homeless salesman Chris Gardner) passes a strong message to his son Christopher Jr ( Jadon Smith) about the power of holding on to and protecting your dreams and aspiration. While playing basketball, Christopher Jr. muttered the following words:
Will Smith: Okay yeah. I don’t know you know I… You’ll probably be about as good as I was. That’s kind of the way it works you know. I was below average. You know, so you’ll probably ultimately rank…somewhere around there you know so…I really – You’ll excel at a lot of things just not this. I don’t want you shooting this ball around all day and night. All right?
Jadon Smith: All right
Will Smith: Hey! Don’t ever let somebody tell you … you can’t do something. Not even me. All right?
Jadon: All right
Will: You got a dream. You got to protect it. People can’t do something themselves… they want to tell you, you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period. Let’s go
We can all relate to the above scene from The Pursuit of Happiness movie. We have all had our dreams belittled by so-called experts, well-meaning family and friends. You hear things like: You can’t do that, that is just the way it is, you are too short, too tall, too black, too skinny, too fat, too this or not that. As Will Smith advises his son in the movie, If you want something, go get it. Period.
I recently ran four back-to-back-to-back-to-back full 42.2KM marathons in the month of May 2023. It is part of my goal to run a marathon in each of the ten Canadian Provinces (Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador). Setting the goal was scary at first but by taking action it became easier by the day. My ultimate goal is to qualify for the 2025 Boston Marathon and the qualifying time for my age bracket is a long stretch from my present running time. Any time I share my Canadian Province goal with peeps, I hear a lot of snarky statements such as Are you not scared of getting injured, do you work, how are you getting this funded, you are crazy, etc. Some of these questions are genuine but I find a lot of them not sincere anyways. I always remember my why anytime I hear these statements and keep it moving.
- Success is having a clear picture of what you want and then eventually your life matches that picture. Success is having a clear process of having your vision come into reality. Success is realizing a life you dream of, progress towards a worthy goal and vision in your life is the pathway to success.
- Thoughts are the currency with which you purchase your dreams and your vision. If you change the way that you think, you can change your life.
- Depth Perception: We all have a vision but the challenge with most of us is that we think it is further away than it is. You have created patterns and believes that makes it far away,
- You would never rise above what you believe in. You would never longterm rise above what you think you deserve.
- Who are you? Physical body, Intellect and spiritual element.
- Repeteadly believe that you are born to do something great. Expect great things to happen for you. The Recticular Activating System in your brain reveal to you what you believe deeply in your heart. Enthusiasm is an energy frequency. In life, we get what we most believe we deserve.
- Be careful about what you want cos you are going to get it. Be specific.
“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”
Daily Calm with Tamara Levitt – Language
- Language shapes the way we see the world and ourselves within it.
- Take more care with your words and frame your thoughts more continuously. Notice words and phrases that contain judgments and imply limitations, try swapping them for alternatives that are more empowering and compassionate. Instead of saying “but” try “and” replace “have to or should” with “want to or choose to” rather than “that is impossible” try saying “It has yet to be done”.
Daily Jay with Jay – Game Tape
- Journal to discover your behavioral patterns
All the best in your quest to get better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.