I participated in my fifth full marathon of the year (2022) at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I finished with a time of 3 hours 56 minutes and 14 seconds, making it my second sub-4 hours in 3 weeks. I had earlier ran a personal best and my first sub-4 marathon time at the 2022 Beneva Montreal Marathon on September 24, 2022.
I had a target of running a time of 3:30, but it was not meant to be. Like every marathon I participate in, there were lots of lessons learned and strategies that I hope to implement in my next marathon, such as experimenting with my running shoes and running without a running bag et al.
The Toronto Waterfront Marathon 2022 was held on Sunday, 16 October 2022, in Toronto, Canada. This was my third time participating in the Toronto Marathon and my second time running the full marathon in Toronto, as it was not organized in 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon 2018 – 05:16:29
- Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon 2019 – 02:27:18
I have come a long way from the 2018 Marathon, which was in the five hours range. I have been steadily improving my time, and I am running sub four hours now, but I know it can get better. My running time for the year thus far:
- BMO Vancouver Marathon – 5:00:31.
- Tartan Ottawa International Marathon – 4:37:39
- Servus Edmonton Marathon – 4:00:20
- Beneva Montreal Marathon 2022 – 3:44:14
- Toronto Waterfront Marathon 2022 – 3:56:14
- 2022 Toronto Waterfront 10K – June 18, 2022 | 50:02
- 2022 Toronto Carnival Run 10K – July 23, 2022 | 47: 45
- Oasis Toronto Zoo 10K Run – September 17, 2022 | 46:28
After the Marathon, I decided to simulate a triathlon (Run, Cycle and Swim).
After the Marathon, I cycled for another 2 hours+ (23.61 KM), and it was not as painful as I thought it would be.
After the run and cycling, I rounded up the activity of the day by going for a swim. I was supposed to swim for an hour, but my apple watch battery died, and the pool was closing. I still managed to put in some time in the pool.
Triathlon Challenge 2023
My next big challenge is to participate in and finish a triathlon in 2023. It is going to be tough, but with consistency, focus and my daily routine – I have got this. The simulation after the marathon gave me the confidence that I needed to commit to participating in a triathlon. I had set the goal of participating in a triathlon earlier in May but after the simulation – I committed.
The Triathlon time – 70.3 KM
- 1.9KM (1.2 mi) of swimming (I have been averaging 3-4 KM swimming daily since July)
- 90 KM (56 mi) of cycling (I have been averaging 100 KM of cycling per week since August)
- 21.1 KM (13.1 mi) – Running (I run consistently – 5 full marathons in 2022 and three 10K Races).
With some more work and training, I would achieve my goal of running the 2024 Boston Marathon and participating in/finishing a triathlon in 2023.
You can map out a fight plan or a life plan, but when the action starts, it may not go the way you planned, and you’re down to your reflexes – that means your [preparation:]. That’s where your roadwork shows. – Joe Frazier
All the Best in your quest to get better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.