We don’t rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. – Archilochus
I have been experimenting with various goal-setting strategies, such as goal stacking, goal scheduling, spaced repetition, morning routine practice, and the Pomodoro Technique, among others. At the beginning of every year, I set various goals and challenges to optimize my potential and fine-tune my body, mind and soul, such as the 100 Books Reading Challenge, 50 Reports Reading Challenge, 50 Biography Reading Challenge, John C. Maxwell 50 Books Reading Challenge, 50 Magazine Reading Challenge, 365 English Podcast Listening Challenge, 365 French Podcast Listening Challenge etc.
I set these challenges yearly to keep me grounded and help me stay hungry. As the late former Apple CEO Steve Jobs famously advised in his 2005 commencement speech at Stanford University, “Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish,” I try to review my goals weekly and reaccess my commitment to the set goals. Some of the other goals and daily routines that I practice daily includes 5 AM Morning Routine (Study time for certification, SAVERS framework), Daily Meditation (400+ streak), daily gratitude journaling
Here is a breakdown of how I faired in executing the goals.
January 2023 Goal Updated
- 12 Books Read – Non-Fiction (4), Biography (4), John C. Maxwell (4)
- Reports – 2 Read | Magazine – 2 Read
- Documentaries: Tyson (2008) | John Wooden: They Called Him Coach
- Exercise Time = 83 Hours | 327.3 KM covered
- Daily Gratitude Journaling plus intention journaling, weekly reviews
- Daily Meditation Practice (25-30 minutes daily using the calm app)
- 365 English Podcast Listening Challenge – 31 Podcast sessions.
- 365 French Podcast Listening Challenge – Daily French Podcast Listening sessions.
- Morning Routine: (IT Certification Preparation) – 2 Hours (Monday – Friday)
- Exercise Regimen (Basketball Shooting (40-60 minutes every morning), Threadmill Running(50-60 minutes 6-7 times per week), Swimming while listening to french (60-90 minutes per day – 14 KM/7 hrs+ per week), Weight Lifting and Cycling.
- Reading from my Kindle device (Kindle Unlimited), hardcover books, Audiobook platforms (Scribd, Audiobooks.com and Audible).
I spent 1/9th of my time in January 2023 exercising.
Total time spent exercising = 83 Hours
Total hours in January = 744 Hours
Time Spent Swimming = 30 hours 10 mins | 54.7 KM
Time Spent Running = 22 hours 55 mins | 216.7 KM
Time Spent Cycling = 4 hours 2 Mins | 50.4 KM
Time Spent weight lifting = 5h 38 mins
Time Spent shooting Basketball = 17 hours 46 mins
- Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence by Dr. Anna Lembke
- Embrace the Suck: The Navy SEAL Way to an Extraordinary Life by Brent Gleeson
- Company Of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business by Paul Jarvis
- Coach Woodens Pyramid Of Success: Building Blocks For a Better Life by John Wooden
50 Biography Reading Challenge
- Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography by Mike Tyson.
- Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story by Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court by Coach John Wooden.
- Govt Cheese a memoir by Steve Pressfield.
John C. Maxwell 50 Books Reading Challenge
- Winning With People: Discover the People Principles that Work for You Every Time by John C. Maxwell.
- Everyone Communicates, Few Connect: What the Most Effective People Do Differently by John C. Maxwell.
- The Self-Aware Leader: Play to Your Strengths, Unleash Your Team by John C. Maxwell.
- JumpStart Your Leadership: A 90-Day Improvement Plan by John C. Maxwell.
- Forbes, Dec 2022/Jan 2023, Issue 6 Volume 205 –TOP-EARNING DEAD CELEBRITIES OF 2022 | Jimmy MrBeast Donaldson | Forbes 30 Under 30 2023
- Forbes Africa Dec/Jan 2023 – The Rise of the Unicorn
I meditate daily with the following guided meditation: : Daily Jay – Jay Shetty, Daily Calm – Tamara Levitt, and Daily Trip – Jeff Warren. I average 25-30 minutes meditating, focusing on my breath and re-centering my focus.
- 365 English Podcast Listening Challenge – 31 Podcast listened to.
- 365 French Podcast Listening Challenge – Daily French Podcast listening session.
All the Best in your quest to get Better. Don’t Settle: Live with Passion.
Comments are closed.